f

Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday Morning Inspiration

Last week I had a long talk with a wonderful friend. I shared with her that I was thinking about closing down my blog. I know that the blog is being read, I can see that from the stats, but it hasn't been growing. I so appreciate those who are reading and who have chosen to follow the blog. As I have said in the past, what I enjoy the most is receiving notes from you, especially when you share a piece of your life with me. Such an honor. This wonderful friend took me back to why I started writing the blog. Quite simply, I hope to be able to inspire. Then out of the blue came inspiration for me. I received an email from my friend Brenda. She told me that she had made the top that I shared back on August 16th. I couldn't wait to see it.

    Here's the picture of my top,






And here are the pictures of Brenda's top. It looked so cute on her!
She also had her jacket from the pattern I gave out last January. She had a few issues. first of all, the pictures that I took don't do the jacket justice. The fabrics are beautiful. The outer fabric is a felted wool, blue and green fibers felted together. The lining fabric is a batik. If you'll remember from the post I did on the circular skirt, any time you have any type of a circle (a bias) it really must hang for 24 hours before you do the hem or it will stretch and the hem will not hang straight. Since Brenda used two fabrics with very different qualities, the felted wool didn't stretch, but the batik did. No problem, all she has to do is open the bottom of the jacket, and even now she should allow it to hang for 24 hours and then go back and match the batik to the felted wool. The only other issue was that she didn't realize that the two collars will need to be tacked together from the underneath side. 




I love the drape of the back.

All in all, her jacket is beautiful. Brenda had come into Chicago to attend the Haute Couture monthly meeting. She spent the night with me. I was tempted to sneak into her room that night and steal her jacket. I just love the fabrics that she chose!

The next thing that happened was I received an email from Miss B. Bell. She had purchased the fabric that I sold a few weeks back and had made the circular skirt and had posted about it in her blog, Cat Fur Studio. Doesn't she look smashing in the skirt!!! By the way, Barbara is such a lovely person. I had the pleasure of having dinner with her earlier this summer. You would never know it to look at her, but she is a hero. She served in the military for a number of years. She also has a passion for animals. No wonder she is so lovely. Check out her blog. She's always up to some very interesting things.
This morning I discovered that two of my blogs had been repinned to Pinterest. If by chance you have not discovered Pinterest, it's a great place to look for inspiration. It's also a great place to get lost and spend more time than you would like, so be careful.
Thank you again to all of you who read and follow. For the most part, I don't like to look back. I always think of Lot's wife, looking back turned her into a pillar of salt, yikes! I feel the moral to that story is that looking back just doesn't move you forward. But, sometimes I think it is good to look back and be reminded of why we started doing whatever it is we're doing. Thank you Miss P for the pep talk!!!
Wishing you all a wonderful week.
Rhonda






Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. First, Rhonda please continue to blog. You are an inspiration to me. I love your online pattern drafting class. You have encouraged me to try pattern drafting. For many years I was only brave enough to make changes to a commercial pattern. But your lessons have helped me to become "fearless". Thank you very much!

    Second, Brenda's top and jacket are lovely; and Barbara's skirt is great too.

    I think you are a well of information and a great source of inspiration. I'm sure many people read your blog; they just don't comment. Like you, I think it is important to hear from people to know how the information affected them; whether it's helpful or not.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, Rhonda. Happy Sewing!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do hope that you keep this blog going; I find it motivating and inspirational. As a somewhat green sewist, I don't feel I have anything constructive to say, but so much to learn and appreciate the work you are willing to share. Belatedly, thank you. Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cennetta B pointed me in your directions and now I'm a follower. I totally understand how you feel but the way I look at it on my blog is if someone left a comment I "talked" to them that day. Sometimes I talk to a lot of peopel and other times I don't talk to anyone. Just because people are commenting doesn't mean they are not visiting and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rhonda! I have just discovered your blog and become a follower using Google Reader. After seeing that gorgeous brown cape, I realize I have a lot to learn from you!
    Being a former blogger myself, I know how it feels to devote such long hours and effort to write your posts and being disappointed day after day because your readership stays the same. I decided to quit blogging and learn to sew instead. I couldn't do both. However, I miss blogging a lot, and I wish I had the time to blog and sew, so that I could give something back to our wonderful sewing community, and not only suck from my fellow sewists' talent, if you know what I mean.
    I encourage you to keep blogging, you are doing something good for other people ;-) plus it gives you the chance to show off your creations!
    Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rhonda Today is my first day reading your blog I was reading Cennetta blog and she mentioned yours . I REALLY enjoyed reading your blog and I am truly inspired by your pieces.I am going to the library to get a book on blogging so I can start a blog and hopefully be as creative as you thanks so much for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you continued to blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You have really done digging today:)

      Delete