f

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Today's recipe is coming a little late in the day. I made fig preserves, my favorite. It makes my day when I go to the market and I see that the fresh figs are in season.
Fig preserves are so easy to make, they just take a bit of patience.
The recipe;
Fig Preserves
4 cups of whole figs
2 cups of sugar
1 lemon sliced into rings, take out the seeds
1 cup of water
pinch of salt
Yields about 4 pint jars

Wash the figs well. Drain and cut the stem off. Combine figs with remaining ingredients and place over fire. Bring to a boil and lower heat to the low setting.  
Cook over low flame until mixture begins to thicken. This can take up to 3 hours. Cooking time depends on the fruit. Some figs are a little more juicy, others are less. Be sure to stir often so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
If you use the purple figs, they will become a beautiful golden brown once they have cooked and thickened.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and sterilize jars in boiling water. Be sure to put the lids in as well. Lids should be new. Drain jars and dry. Fill jars with figs, leaving a little room at the top. Place hot lids on jars and screw tight. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 to 15 minutes. If you would rather not process the jars, you can freeze the preserves for later use, or store in the refrigerator for up to one month.  
YUM!!
Hope your Sunday is or has been lovely.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda,
    I understand your love of fresh figs. I just picked a few from my fig tree and ate one of them. It was so sweet and delicious. Thank you for the recipe. I made fig jelly a long time ago and might try your recipe once I can pick lots of figs at one time.
    Gita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a tree, I don't think I would ever have enough to preserve as I'm afraid that I would eat them as they ripened. Enjoy your lovely figs!

      Delete
  2. I grew up with an abundance of figs with a fig tree in our yard. There were always fig preserves and the wonderful whole figs my grandmother would preserve in syrup. They were so beautiful and so good with a hunk of bread and a piece of cheddar. Thanks for bringing back these memories. I haven't had a fig in years and would so love to make some preserves. You are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figs have an abundance of seeds and just like those seeds, my memories are also so abundant. My grandmother and I would pick figs together and bring them home and can them. Maybe it's the warmth of those memories that make the figs the sweetest for me. Thank you for sharing your precious memories.

      Delete
  3. I love love love fresh figs. I eat loads of them this time of year. I just love all those little seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my dreams! Figs are so expensive in Sydney, even in mid summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where on Earth did you find fresh figs? I've never seen then in the U.S.! I fell in love with them in Brazil more than 20 years ago and with candied figs in Brazil 10+ years ago. Even Trader Joe's doesn't have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a neighborhood market that carries them when they are in season. I'm lucky!

      Delete