f

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Peek Inside My Collection

I received a message this morning from one of the editor's at Sew News and she said,
"Wow, your MTD post has been the most successful of ALL TIME."
So needless, to say, I am very honored and even more, humbled by your support. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 
A number of you commented about pieces I have in my collection and said that you would like to see. Now of course, seeing in person is the best, but since that's impossible, I thought that from time to time I would pull a piece out that I think is especially interesting and share it. The jacket that I'm sharing today is well over 100 years old and it is exquisite.
It's a beautiful piece of linen covered in handmade lace. Sadly, the true color did not come through as it is actually a lovely buttercup yellow rather than ivory. The lace is ivory except for the small taffeta pieces that are in the middle of the flowers.
The back.
 A close up of the stitching detail.
 The lace on the shoulder.
This is the best close up shot I could get of the lace. The lace is truly perfection.
The center back.
 Lace was even sewn under the arm.
The jacket is held together with hooks down the front.
Take note that as lovely as this jacket is, the stitching is not absolutely perfect.
 
It's lined with silk taffeta and it is disintegrating, so it really needs to be replaced. I think I know someone that could do that ;) The jacket is underlined and the lace was then sewn to both layers.
Vintage and antique garments and fabrics are becoming more and more difficult to find, but they are still out there, so always be sure to look if you visit a thrift store as you never know what treasure you may find.
I'll be back a little later with a link for Frabjous Couture's Me Made Monday post.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

23 comments:

  1. How fascinating! I LOVE taking little peaks inside old garments and it is such a privilege to see something so old and beautifully detailed. Thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I hate that the lining is disintegrating, it doe open the opportunity to see inside which like you said is great. I can only begin the imagine the amount of time that went into this jacket, and just think, there was at least a skirt that went with it!

      Delete
  2. How nice, it's so delicate. I like to see these clothes so well sew and finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a treat. So happy that you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe, Rhonda, THANK you so much for sharing this treasure!!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful. I think that once I replace the lining, I am going to make something special to wear with it and then get it out and wear it. It's ashame to not really enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Rhonda, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful jacket. It is truly a work of art and it is so nice that you are conserving this piece for the future. Great article too. Your piece of needlepoint sounds fascinating. Do you know that when I was at school i was gifted some 18thC lace by the mother of an old Beau who had a shop selling antiques. I sewed it onto a Biba blouse and wore both of them until they fell apart, which for the lace didn't take too long as, to my complete shame, I put them into the washing machine. When I think of it now! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to use the pieces and enjoy them. My grandmother saved everything, for what I don't know. I use and enjoy everything, so when it's gone, it's gone. But....I have to do one little shame on you ;), the washing machine!!!! Oh well, live and learn :)

      Delete
  5. Divine! Thank you so much for sharing. I look forward to more seeks into your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have a party for my Chicago friends do you can see them up close. I'll keep you posted :)

      Delete
  6. That is beautiful. So lovely and delicate. Thanks for show us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is stunning. I'm so glad you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that people asked to see some of my collection. It really should be shared. Glad you enjoyed the piece.

      Delete
  8. This is fascinating! Especially the inside. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that the lining is disintegrating, but on the other hand, if it weren't, I would never dare to take it apart to look inside. When I take the lining out, I'll post more interior pictures.

      Delete
  9. How gorgeous, the details are just impeccable. Thank you so much for sharing, I bet this has an incredible feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. It's one of those things that you just stand in awe of. All that handwork and so much time!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It really is, but I need to do something more with it than leave it packed away.

      Delete
  11. I almost cried when I read this post...the sheer beauty and skill that went to making such a garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It really is an amazing piece. I think it would be such a treat to meet the woman who wore it and to find out what the rest of the dress looked like.

      Delete