f

Friday, October 30, 2015

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday/A Winter Hat

The last few days have been really chilly here in Chicago. While I was out for my morning walk yesterday, I kept overhearing people talk about how cold it was. I had to laugh a little, not at them, but our perception of cold. On this side of winter, we all think that 40 is cold. Once we've actually been through the winter months, and we finally get a day that is in the 40's, everyone thinks it's warm!

With the cooler temperatures, I've needed a hat, and as it goes, I can't find my hat, so time to make a new one. 
When I scrolled through the blog to find the hat that I made, I couldn't believe that it was actually 4 years ago. Wow, where does the time go?  
This hat is nothing more than a rectangle. It's a little quirky I guess, but I really like it.You can find the original post and instructions HERE. See the feather in my hair? 

Well, I'm still wearing feathers from time to time and if you look closely at the picture below, you'll see a little blue in my hair. I look at it this way, life is just too short not to have a little fun!
So, this is the exact same hat I made originally. Just a rectangle. In the original post, I instructed you to measure around your head and to not add ease. The hat should have a snug fit. I suggest measuring around your head and then sewing the center back seam and trying on the hat before you progress. I ended up cutting mine down a couple of inches to give a truly snug fit. Some of you may want a looser fitting hat, so just be sure to try it on before you sew the top of the hat together. 
I decided to make one that is a little less quirky, just a rectangle with a circle on the crown.  This is truly a very easy project, perfect for the beginning sewist.
For a medium size head, cut a rectangle that is 
20 1/2" long x 8 1/2" wide 
The measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance for the crown and a 2" turned up hem along the bottom of the hat.
For the crown, cut a circle that is 6 1/2" in diameter. This measurement also includes a 1/4" seam allowance.
The best way to make your crown pattern is to fold a piece of paper into 4ths. From the corner, measure out 3 1/4" as you see below. Cut along the dotted line and you'll have your circle pattern! 
To make the hat, simply sew the center back seam of the rectangle. Then sew the circle to the one of the open ends. finish the hat by turning up the lower edge and stitching it in place. The hat takes no more than 30 minutes to make.
One aspect of the first hat that I really like is that it folds flat. The hat with the round crown will fold flat, but it isn't as nice and neat as the simple rectangle hat.
Whichever hat you choose to make will keep your head nice and warm, so a winner either way.
With Christmas not so far away, the hats make great stocking stuffers! 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. so adorable....I see a few for my daughters and a few for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to make, either style. The only problem is that it doesn't get that cold
      In Houston!

      Delete
  2. I can't find any of my hats from last winter so I will make a few of these. It's just getting colder here in the UK too but it is unlikely to get as cold as Chicago!
    Stay warm Rhonda 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the swimming you are doing, having a hat to throw on afterwards is important. I've never been to England, well, only Heathrow, and that's just an airport. But I was in Ireland a few years ago during the summer and I froze. I have a feeling that England has its own special brand of cold ;)

      Delete
  3. Cute hats. New York is staying comfortably cool 50s. Could definitely use a few hats... TFS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the commuting that you have to do, this hat would be great as it won't take up any space in your bag. And with your creative expertise, I think you could make it extra special :)

      Delete