f

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday's Soup/Carrot Top Pesto That Even a Vegan Would Love

When the farmers begin bringing the fresh produce into our local farmer's markets, I am in heaven. 
A few weeks ago, I stopped by a market and fell in love with a bunch of fresh carrots, well, if one can actually fall in love with carrots ;) They were so fresh and not only did the carrots look great, but the tops were so pretty and I just couldn't chop them off and toss them. I have heard of carrot top soup, but that didn't really strike my fancy, so I began to look around and I round a recipe for carrot top pesto. Score!!!


When purchasing fresh carrots with the stems in tact, just be sure that the greens are truly fresh and bright green. All you need to do is snip the greens from the stems, give them a bit of a chop, throw the greens along with some garlic, roasted walnuts, olive oil, salt and black pepper in your food processor and you have a truly delightful pesto. 


The soup is Velvety Carrot Soup with Carrot Top Pesto and you can find the recipe HERE.
The soup is so very simple to make, basically just onions and carrots. This is the second batch I've made. With the first, I followed the recipe exactly, this time around I added a clove of garlic to the soup. A nice addition.


Serve the soup with a dollop of the fresh carrot top pesto. Be sure to stir it around so you get a bit of the pesto with every spoon full! 


As I said, this is my second batch and it will not be my last. The soup will freeze well, so I plan to keep some in small containers for a quick lunch. If you like carrots, I think you'll truly love this soup.
And remember, not only does it taste great, it's good for your eyes too :)
Enjoy!
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda!
    Yum. I love all things pesto and what a creative way to use carrot tops. Next time I go to the farmer's market, I'm going to be on the lookout for carrots so I can copy your meal! :)
    I hope you're having a fantastic summer.
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be sure to toast the walnuts, makes a big difference, giving the pesto a richer taste. So nice to see you back on your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pesto recipe. It always seemed a shame to put them in the compost bin. I will give the pesto a try next time I buy more carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I made carrot soup yesterday too. You have such pretty bowls to serve yours in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really scrumptious - I know I would enjoy a bowl of that 😃

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks absolutely delicious...I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete