f

Monday, December 19, 2016

Monday Morning Inspiration/Size and Beauty

Good Morning All!!!

It's a balmy -12 degrees in Chicago this morning...and I have a meeting to attended :/ I sure wish I could skip this on! But, at the moment, I am sitting in front a of a nice warm fire, so all is well :)

I had another post all ready to go, and then I turned my computer on this morning and found a very interesting article that I thought I would share.

Weight and sizing is something that I think almost all women, both young and old deal with...fight with actually, on an ongoing basis. Somehow, so many feel that their weight, or the size that they wear equates to beauty. If you've read the blog for sometime, you may remember me talking about a nun with whom I was close. At 80 years old, she was by far, the most beautiful woman I've ever known. She was not thin. What she possessed was poise, grace, and a strong sense of confidence in herself. 

Here's the video I saw. It's short, just a few minutes long. The line that really grabbed me was when she was talking about counseling young girls and having them ask, "If I were skinnier, would he have stayed?" Heartbreaking. 



Here's a link to the article. HERE you will find a link to her Facebook page where you may leave a comment if you wish. 

As I wish you a wonderful day, I would like to leave you with this quote from Deena Shoemaker,


Your size does not determine your beauty, 
Your life does.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Forty years ago, I worked at an upscale department store. At a store meeting, one of the buyers was talking about problems with variable sizing for the same garment when it was reordered. She found out that the manufacturer would just change the size label so that they could send out a popular size and fill an order. The garment might be a 12 or 8 but the order was for a 10. So voila a 10 appeared! Since then the whole vanity sizing scheme has taken over. It used to be that the more expensive the garment, the smaller the size. Now it seems to be that way even with disposable clothes.
    The same thing happened with shoes. In the '50's and '60's, it was almost shameful if a woman admitted that she had a foot larger than a 6. I sold shoes at the department store I mentioned in the mid'70's. There were a whole lot of mangled feet with twisted up toes that were on feet that were really size 7 or 8 that had been shoved into size 6 shoes. The orthopedic problems were permanent just like the eating disorder and body image disorders from crazy clothing sizes. I wear a pattern size 14 and used to be a large in any ready-to-wear clothing, especially since I am almost 6 feet tall. About 7 or 8 years ago, I noticed that suddenly I was a Medium in Eileen Fisher clothing which are not close fitting. I am not any smaller. The size indications have been downsized to accommodate the larger bodies of the average woman and not lose Eileen Fisher customers. Sizes are not real numbers.

    ReplyDelete