f

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Nutty For Fall/Lentil-Nut Loaf

What a wonderful week I had! The sewing expo was a blast, a lot of work, but a blast. So many lovely compliments on my classes. 

After talking and standing on my feet for 3 days, I need a comfort day, a nice hot bath with lots of Epsom salts for my tired body, and a lentil-nut loaf to feed my soul.

This nut loaf recipe is something that I have been making for years. I absolutely love it! It's chuck full of protein, eggs, nuts, and lentils. Variations can be made. Shredded carrots make a wonderful addition, as does chopped and sauteed kale or spinach. 

The recipe is below. If it sounds good, just click on "printable recipe" and you'll be good to go!  


Lentil-Nut Loaf
printable recipe

ingredients;

2 cups cooked lentils
4 cloves garlic minced
3 stalks celery chopped
1 large onion chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped pecans
6 eggs beaten
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook lentils according to package directions.
Saute onions and celery until tender. Add minced garlic and saute for about a minute longer. 


Mix in lentils, basil, thyme, sage, salt, pepper and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add bread crumbs, oats, walnuts, pecans and mix well. 


Add lentil mixture and stir well. Add diced tomatoes. 


Grease 2 loaf pans and divide lentil-nut mixture between the 2 pans.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, or until set. 


Slice and serve with sauteed mushrooms or your favorite tomato sauce. 


What I especially enjoy is that the recipe makes 2 loaves, so I have one for now, and one for later. Wrap well and store in the freezer until you're ready for the second loaf. 

I also make open face sandwiches out of the loaf. A little vegan mayo on a slice of good bread, some greens of your choice and a slice of tomato, and you'll have a wonderful lunch!

Hope you enjoy the loaf as much as I do if you give it a try :)
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment